The two-day tournament will be held from June 6 -7, so far; Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and Burundi have been invited to take part in the tournament that will be the first ever.
FERWAFA Chief Executive Officer, Olivier Mulindahabi told The New Times of Rwanda Monday that Kenya and Uganda have verbally shown interest to take part in the tournament but they have been asked to confirm their commitment in writing.
“Uganda and Kenya confirmed but we told them to write to us officially. We expect to know soon which other team will participate in the tournament,” said Mulindahabi.
Meanwhile, Uganda national soccer coach, Milutin Micho Sredojevic has hailed the move taken by the Rwanda FA to organize this special tournament.
The Serbian said the tournament will be vital in the Cranes preparation for the 2016 Africa Nations Championship (CHAN) qualifiers against neighbouring Tanzania.
“The event [tournament] will be very good to prepare our players ahead of the preliminary qualifier game against Tanzania on June 20,” he said.
The New Times of Rwanda, reported Monday it has been only Mukura Victory Sports Club from 1995 that has been organizing annual commemoration tournament to honour its players, fans that were lost during the 1994 Rwanda pogrom.
According to the paper, 70 players are on the record to have fallen prey to the mass killings.
The mass killings that lasted for weeks were systematically organized and implemented by the extremist elements in the Hutu-dominated government that held the reins of power at the time against the minority Tutsis and moderate Hutus.
Some of the clubs that were hardest hit by the genocide are Mukura, SC Kiyovu, Rayon Sports, Panthere Noire, Etincelles, Gishavu, Mukungwa, Terminus and Kilo Volte.