HEAVY 91 KG - FRIDAY, 30 JANUARY (21:00 GMT+1)
Location: Catania – Venue: PalaCatania
Going into the AIBA Pro Boxing (APB) Heavyweight (91 kg) Inaugural Title Match, much of the attention was on hometown star, the two-time AIBA World Championships gold medalist, and two-time Olympic Games silver medalist Clemente Russo, and his attempts to finally beat Aleksei Egorov, and claim the title belt.
The fight was unbelievably close, with Egorov taking the first round and Russo the next two frames.
Just as the Italian looked like he was running away with the match, Egorov came storming back, and took rounds four to seven to give him an unassailable lead going into the last three minutes of the bout.
Russo is one of the most resilient boxers in the history of this sport, and took the last round on two scorecards, but it wasn’t enough, and he was beaten for the second time in APB.
Egorov, now 4-0 won 77:75 according to two judges, while the third scorer had the fight a draw.
The ecstatic Russian boxer held the belt aloft to the respect of a dejected, but respectful partisan crowd, and Russo will hope it will be third time lucky if the two are to meet in APB again.
- 21:00: Charles JAVONTA (USA) vs Yamil PERALTA (ARG) W.O.
- (Exhibition Match: Marco CALIC (CRO) W.P. (59:55/ 59:55/ 58:56) vs Yamil PERALTA (ARG))
- 21:30: Emir AHMATOVIC (GER) vs Anton PINCHUK (KAZ) W.P. (55:59/ 55:59/ 55:59)
- 22:00: Chouaib BOULOUDINATS (ALG) W.P. (58:56/ 59:55/ 60:54) vs Roman GOLOVASHCHENKO (UKR)
- 22:30: Clemente RUSSO (ITA) vs Aleksey EGOROV (RUS) W.P. (75:77/ 76:76/ 75:77) (APB Inaugural Champion)
FLY 52 KG - FRIDAY, 30 JANUARY (19:00 GMT+6)
Location: Novosibirsk – Venue: SKK Server
The AIBA Pro Boxing (APB) Inaugural Title Match for the Flyweights (52+ kg) proved to be one of the greatest matches yet in the competition, and the Skk sever, Novosibirsk eventually saw Russian home favourite Mikhail Aloian defeat Mexico’s Elias Emigdio to claim the title.
Aloian, the number one seed coming into the competition maintained his undefeated record in APB, but was pushed all the way by his Mexican rival.
Although Aloian won the first five rounds on each scorecard, there was not a moment in those frames where Emigdio wasn’t trying his best to win, but the two-time AIBA World Championships gold medalist was just too strong, and too good.
Emigdio battled to the end however, and claimed the last two rounds, but it wasn’t enough after the dominance he had suffered against earlier in the contest, and Aloian eventually won the bout, and the title on all three scorecards, 78:74 across the board.
The Flyweights have been consistently exciting this season, and it one of the most talent-heavy divisions in APB, but Aloian has excelled throughout, and looks almost impossible to beat.
Russia’s new hero celebrated in front of his home fans, and could hold this title for a long time to come.
- 19:00: Redouane ASLOUM (FRA) W.O. vs Vincezo PICARDI (ITA)
- 19:30: Mohammed FLISSI (ALG) vs Ilyas SULEIMENOV (KAZ) TKO R2 (0:37)
- 20:00: Fernando MARTÍNEZ (ARG) vs Jabursek LATIPOV (UZB) W.O.
- 20:30: Misha ALOIAN (RUS) W.P. (78:74/ 78:74/ 78:74) (APB Inaugural Champion) vs Elias EMIGDIO (MEX)
LIGHT 60 KG - FRIDAY, 30 JANUARY (19:30 GMT+6)
Location: Astana – Venue: Daulet Sports Complex
Two undefeated Lightweights (60 kg) competed in the AIBA Pro Boxing (APB) Inaugural Title Match on January 30th, and the fans packed in the Daulet Sports Complex, Astana ultimately saw home favourite, and number one seed Berik Abdrakhmanov defeat Uzbekistan’s Hurshid Tojibaev.
Berik Abdrakhmanov, now 4-0 in APB won the majority of the first four rounds in Astana, and looked en route to a comfortable victory, before Tojibaev began to turn up the heat in the middle section of the fight.
The Uzbek fighter, now 3-1 pushed the pace as the fight progressed, and impressed different judges in different rounds.
Perhaps the main difference between the two fighters was that when Abdrakhmanov won rounds, he tended to do so on all of the scorecards, while Tojibaev’s successes were more scattered.
After eight rounds of intense action, Abdrakhmanov eventually controlled the fight enough to win, and celebrated a unanimous decision victory with scores of 78:74, and two 77:75 cards.
The new Lightweight champion was delighted after the match, and will celebrate long into the night.
- 19:30: Artur BRIL (GER) vs Domenico VALENTINO (ITA) W.P. (56:58/ 57:57/ 57:57)
- 20:00: Robson CONCEICAO (BRA) W.P. (57:57/ 58:56/ 58:56) vs Charly SUAREZ (PHI)
- 20:30: David JOYCE (IRL) vs Dmitry POLYANSKIY (RUS) W.P. (55:59/ 57:57/ 56:58)
- 21:00: Berik ABDRAKHMANOV W.P. (77:75/ 77:75/ 78:74) (APB Inaugural Champion) vs Hurshid TOJIBAEV (UZB)
LIGHT HEAVY 81 KG - FRIDAY, 30 JANUARY (20:00 GMT+2)
Location: Sofia – Venue: Universiada Hall
The Universiada Hall, Sofia hosted the AIBA Pro Boxing (APB) Light heavyweight (81 kg) Inaugural Title Match, where Iran’s Ehsan Rouzbahani dominated number one seed and Commonwealth Games silver medalist Kennedy St Pierre to claim the title.
A fight that was consistently engrossing started as a tactical battle, with both boxers beginning the contest by utilising their movement, with quick flashes of power.
Rouzbahani was perhaps the slower of the two boxers, but his combinations throughout were crisp and concise, which cut the ring off well.
The Iranian fighter battled a bloodied nose early in the fight by taking control in the middle rounds, and though St Pierre tried hard to rally, the cerebral approach of Rouzbahani was too much to handle.
As the battle began to close, both men tired, but again it was Rouzbahani who maintained the momentum, and took the final frames in decisive fashion.
After eight rounds of gruelling action, the judges awarded the contest 78:74, and 78:73 twice to the Iranian icon who wept as he was awarded the Championship belt.
- 20:00: Oybek MAMAZULUNOV (UZB) vs Serge MICHEL (GER) W.P. (55:59/ 56:58/ 56:58)
- 20:30: Mathieu BAUDERLIQUE (FRA) KO (R6) vs Nikita IVANOV (RUS)
- 21:00: Spas GENOV (BUL) vs Joseph WARD (IRL) W.P. (56:58/ 55:58/ 55:59)
- 21:30: Ehsan ROUZBAHANI (IRI) W.P. (78:73/ 79:73/ 78:74) (APB Inaugural Champion) vs Kennedy St PIERRE (MRI)
LIGHT WELTER 64 KG - SATURDAY, 31 JANUARY (17:00 GMT+6)
Location: Novosibirsk – Venue: SKK Server
Three minutes into the AIBA Pro Boxing (APB) Light welterweight (64 kg) Inaugural Title Match, the crowd at the the SKK Sever, Novosibirsk were in shock, as for the first time in APB home favourite and 2013 European Champion Artem Zakaryan dropped a round in the competition to Artem Harutyunyan.
In their earlier APB clash, Zakaryan had won every frame against Harutyunyan as he had also against Vyacheslav Kyslytsyn, but for a second it seemed that the ultimate upset was on.
Zakaryan had other ideas however, and shook off the surprise of his opening stanza loss to win the bulk of the next three rounds.
Germany’s new star Harutyunyan refused to give in, and claimed the fifth on two scorecards to give him a chance heading into the Championship rounds.
It was to be the last round he would win in the match, as Zakaryan won the final three frames of the contest in excellent fashion, and claimed the APB title to the delight of his fans in the arena.
The final scorecards all read 78:74 in favour of the Russian.
Still undefeated in APB, Zakaryan was given his hardest match of the competition from the tough Harutyunyan, but battled the storm and established his ultimate dominance.
- 17:00: Boris GEROGIEV (BUL) vs Vyacheslav KYSLYTSYN (UKR) W.O.
- 17:30: Juan Pablo ROMERO (MEX) vs Abdelkader CHADI (ALG) W.P. (55:59/ 56:58/ 55:59)
- 18:00: Evaldas PETRAUSKAS (LTU) vs Carlos AQUINO (ARG) W.P. (56:58/ 57:57/ 55:59)
- 18:30: Armen ZAKARYAN (RUS) W.P. (78:74/ 78:74/ 78:74) (APB Inaugural Champion) vs Artem HARUTYUNYAN (GER)(APB Inaugural Title Match)