The qualification system will be played between May 15, 2016 and October 15, 2017.
Number of participating teams and vacancies by continent
The Drawing of Lots for the FIVB Volleyball World Championships 2018 will take place by December 2017 using the FIVB World Ranking as of September 30, 2017.
World champions USA (women) and Poland (men) are automatically qualified and are joined by the host counties Japan (women) and Italy and Bulgaria (men) in not having to participate in the qualification process.
A proposal for the competition formula will be made to the FIVB Board of Administration meeting in April however the Sports Events Council did confirm the following points:
- same formula for men and women’s competition
- simple formula / easy to communicate to audience
- minimum number of matches guaranteed ? 5 matches
- number of matches for the winning team ? 11 to 13 matches
- maximum of 21 days of competition (2 or 3 matches per day)
- Since it is the first time that two countries host an FIVB World Championship, Italy and Bulgaria will be kept separate for the first two phases during the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship 2018