Tsholo Kubheka returns to Virgin Active
Tsholo Khubeka returns to Virgin Active after 14 months at the South African Rugby Union as Commercial General Manager. He began his career in sales at Virgin Active and had been with them for 15 years before joining SA Rugby in 2016. Khubeka has filled a number of roles including chief marketing officer for Virgin Active Red, a new back-to-basic gym concept, and has worked his way up over the years to his present role of Sales Director.
“As a sportsperson, I have always idolised American football player Ray Lewis, who said, “I figured something out. And it is no secret what I figured out. Whatever the majority of people were doing, I found myself doing the opposite. I wanted to chase something great.” That is what I strive to do in this business.”
“As I tell my young leaders in the business, you cannot sustain leadership if you do not develop the talent of others. If you allow the pipeline to shrink, where will the future leaders come from?
Hazel Chimhandamba joins OUTsurance
Former Head of Group Sponsorship Marketing at Standard Bank, Hazel Chimhandamba has been appointed as Head of Brand and Social Engagement at OUTsurance.
With more than 14 years of strategic marketing experience in Africa Hazel has had the opportunity to manage brands, sponsorship properties and business solutions at different stages of their evolutionary cycles across different market segments. She has worked on established brands such as MTN, Citibank and Discovery, developed marketing strategies, brand strategies, communications strategies and sponsorship strategies for multiple African markets in response to brand challenges.
Hazel says: ““I am not completely walking away from sponsorships as this forms part of my broader portfolio as a marketing executive at OUTsurance. I am developing marketing strategies, overseeing the PR, corporate affairs and sponsorships amongst other functions.”
Additional noteworthy appointments include:
- Gail Odgers Joins SportPesa as Digital Marketing and Advertising Manager. Odgers was formerly at Soccer Laduma as Head of Commercial Content.
- Janus Kloppers rejoins Vodacom from Openfield to take over the Rugby and Lifestyle portfolios.
- Bridget Kee has been appointed as Project Manager at Frontiers Sport and Entertainment.
- Sharon Wilson has been appointed as the new Business Director at Openfield.
- Four new SAFA Regional Presidents have been elected: Pius Nqandela (West Rand, Gauteng), Melusi Kubheka (Amajuba, KZN), Stopper Mabula (Ngaka Modiri, North West), Sandile Nowalaza (OR Tambo, Eastern Cape)
- SAFA General Manager for Football Business, Russell Paul and Ghana’s ex-international defender Antony Baffoe are the only two Africans who have been appointed as General Coordinators at the forthcoming FIFA World Cup in Russia scheduled for June and July.
- Eurosport chief executive Peter Hutton appointed to lead Facebook’s push into live sports streaming.
- Liza Durge has been appointed to lead client services for Octagon UK.
- Will Chignell has been appointed as Chief Marketing Officer at The World Surf League.
- Nigel Wood has been appointed as new chief executive at the Rugby League International Federation.