Kickoff is at 19h30.
“Our preparations have gone very well, and the boys have managed to adapt quickly to the conditions of the area and the mood in camp is very high, which augurs well for the tournament ahead. All the boys are looking forward to the competion,” said Senong.
“We will not underestimate Lesotho because they come here with the same mission we have – that of winning the tournament. The first match becomes very important as it sets the tone for the rest of the competition. The challenge we saw from the last match we played against Kenya was converting the chances we create, so if we can do that against Lesotho then we are confident we will come out with a victory.”
The South Africans are hosting the tournament. They are also the defending champions, but Senong says this does not put them under any pressure.
“Remember we are using this event as preparations for the CAF u20 Africa Cup of Nations tournament which will be staged in Zambia next year, so we are not feeling any pressure – this is because pressure comes with anxiety, and that leads to underperformance. So it is important that they go out there and just enjoy themselves with the purpose of winning,” added Senong.
“Yes, the aim is to successfully defend our title as it will give the boys the much-needed confidence going to Zambia.”
Against Lesotho, Amajita will not have the services of defender Shane Saralina who is nursing an ankle injury.
“It doesn’t look serious for now, but he is definitely out of the Lesotho clash. The medical team is monitoring him to see how soon he can recover. Hopefully he will be available for our next match,” concluded the u20 mentor.
* The 2016 COSAFA u20 Cup tournament runs until 16 December
* The South African are in Group A alongside Lesotho, Swaziland and Botswana
* The 2016 COSAFA U-20 Cup will be the 23rd edition of the COSAFA U20 Cup
* It is an international youth competition open to national associations of the COSAFA region
* South Africa is hosting the tournament
* The competition is open to players born on or before 1 January 1997, ensuring that all participants are also eligible for the 2017 Africa U-20 Cup of Nations.
GROUP A FIXTURES
07 December – 14h00
Swaziland vs Botswana – Moruleng Stadium
07 December – 19h30
South Africa vs Lesotho – Moruleng Stadium
09 December 12 – 11h00
Lesotho vs Botswana – Moruleng Stadium
09 December – 14h00
South Africa vs Swaziland – Moruleng Stadium
12 December – 17h00
Lesotho vs Swaziland – Mogwase Stadium
12 December – 17h00
Botswana vs South Africa – Moruleng Stadium
Full Amajita squad for COSAFA u20 Cup
1. Sanele Tshabalala Bidvest Wits
2. Darren Johnson Ajax Cape Town
3. Kopano Thuntsane Orlando Pirates Development
4. Reeve Frosler Bidvest Wits
5. Shane Saralina Ajax Cape Town
6. Tercious Malepe (C) Orlando Pirates Development
7. Givemore Khupe Bidvest Wits
8. Kabelo Seriba FC Metta (Latvia)
9. Ahgmat Ceres Ajax Cape Town
10. Siphumelele Mbulu Orlando Pirates Development
11. Wiseman Meyiwa Kaizer Chiefs Development
12. Sipho Mbule Harmony Academy
13. Sibongakonke Mbatha Bidvest Wits
14. Nkosingiphile Ngcobo Kaizer Chiefs Development
15. Kobamelo Kodisang Platinum Stars
16. Luther Singh Gaes (Sweden)
17. Itumeleng SHOPANE Kaizer Chiefs Development
18. Menzi NDWANDWE Amazulu
19. Keletso Makgalwa Mamelodi Sundowns
20. Sifundo Sibiya Bidvest Wits