The New York Red Bulls saw five Homegrown Players suit up in their 2-0 victory over Club Tijuana on the road last Tuesday, while an additional two players who previously played in the Red Bulls United Soccer League (USL) system contributed to the victory. Overall, seven of the 14 Red Bulls players who saw action in the victory were developed in the Red Bulls system either as Homegrowns or USL players. Midfielder Florian Valot, who made his first team debut following two seasons with Red Bulls II, assisted on the second of Bradley Wright-Phillips’ goals against Xolos.
Seattle Sounders FC completed an undefeated week for the MLS trio with a 1-0 victory over Chivas de Guadalajara on Wednesday at CenturyLink Field, powered by a pair of Homegrown midfielders. Eighteen-year-old Handwalla Bwana put in a tremendous 73-minute performance before he was taken off the field in favor of 22-year-old Homegrown Henry Wingo. Minutes into his shift, Wingo lifted Seattle with a perfectly placed cross to set up Clint Dempsey’s score in the 78th minute.
With Homegrown Players across all three clubs impressing in CCL play, young American and Canadian products shined bright in the first leg of CCL Quarterfinals and will look to lift their clubs over Liga MX rivals in the second legs this week.
LEG 2 QUALIFICATION SCENARIOS:
CONCACAF Champions League Quarterfinals
New York Red Bulls vs. Club Tijuana (Tuesday, 8 p.m. ET / Univision Deportes; go90.com) –
- Through Leg 1: New York Red Bulls lead 2-0 in aggregate
- How New York Red Bulls can advance to semifinals: A victory, draw or one-goal loss assures the Red Bulls of advancing; if the Red Bulls fall 2-0 in regulation, the match will be decided in a penalty kick shootout; if the Red Bulls lose by two goals and concede three or more in this scenario, Tijuana advances to the semifinals.
Tigres UANL vs. Toronto FC (Tuesday, 10 p.m. ET / Univision Deportes; go90.com) –
- Through Leg 1: Toronto FC lead 2-1 in aggregate
- How Toronto FC can advance to semifinals: A victory or draw assures Toronto of advancing; the Reds can also advance via a one-goal loss if they score two or more goals in this scenario; if Tuesday’s second leg results in Tigres leading 2-1 through regulation in Leg 2, the match will be decided in a penalty kick shootout; Tigres will advance with a two-goal advantage or more in this second leg.
Chivas de Guadalajara vs. Seattle Sounders FC (Wednesday, 10 p.m. ET / Univision Deportes; go90.com) –
- Through Leg 1: Seattle Sounders FC lead 1-0 in aggregate
- How Seattle Sounders FC can advance to semifinals: A victory or draw assures Seattle of advancing; the Sounders can also advance via a one-goal loss if they score one or more goals in this scenario; if Wednesday’s second leg results in Chivas leading 1-0 through regulation in Leg 2, the match will be decided in a penalty kick shootout; Guadalajara will advance with a two-goal advantage or more in this second leg.