- Eight former winners are among the last 16 at the group stage: Al Ahly (1982, 1987, 2001, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2013), TP Mazembe (1967, 1968, 2009, 2010, 2015), Esperance (1992, 2011), Wydad Athletic Club (1992, 2017), MC Alger (1976), Etoile du Sahel (2007), ES Setif (1988, 2014) and Mamelodi Sundowns (2016). Between these teams count 22 titles since the inception of the premier continental club championship in 1965.
- They have arrived. Township Rollers, AS Togo-Port, Horoya, KCCA and Mbabane Swallows are in the group phase of the CAF Champions League for the first time.
- Primeiro de Agosto participated in the maiden edition of the group phase of the CAF Champions League in 1997. Since then, Angolan clubs to have reached the mini-league stage are Petro Atletico (2001), AS Aviacao (2003) and Recreativo Libolo (2013).
- The increase in clubs at the group stage from 8 to 16 clubs in 2017 benefited the likes of Horoya, KCCA and Mbabane Swallows, who participated in the CAF Confederation Cup group stage last year. KCCA missed the quarters by a whisker (on goal difference) to FUS Rabat.
- 84 matches were played during the prelims and 1/16th rounds, producing 217 goals, an average of 2.58 goals per game.
- The biggest wins.
Difaâ El Jadida - Benfica 10-0
MC Alger - AS Otoho 9-0
Zesco - JKU 7-0
ES Setif - Olympic Real 6-0
MC Alger - MFM FC 6-0
WAC - Williamsville 7-2
16 Qualified teams