In 2013, the United Nations General Assembly declared April 6 as the International Day of Sport for Development and Peace (IDSDP). Since then, organizations and citizens across the world have organized events and activities in their respective communities to show the power of sport in fostering peace and understanding, driving social change, and promoting community development. In The 2020 celebration comes at a time when the whole world is fighting the Corona Virus (COVID 19) pandemic, which has affected millions, claiming thousands of lives and displaced communities and forced billions of peoples in confinement. In such circumstances, sport remains a powerful tool for recalling human values of respect, solidarity, healthiest responsibility, teamwork, equality, motivation and resilience, all essential in the individual or collective fight against COVID-19, and for building foundations for resilience and peace in a troubled period.
PAYNCoP, UNESCO and the African Peer Review Mechanism Youth Network will re-post entries at random to raise awareness during the Challenge. Note however that re-posting does not amount to endorsement nor final selection.
How to participate?
- Make a one (1) minute video or less of yourself displaying your innovation and creativity taking part in any sporting activity of your choice during confinement or movement restriction period as your contribution to the fight against COVID-19
- Post it on your social media (Facebook, Twitter or Instagram) using the hashtags
- Follow UNESCO and PAYNCoP on Twitter and Instagram and like our Facebook pages
- Tag at least five other youths and convince them to enter the challenge.
- Participants are advised to carefully read and follow the entry guidelines.
- Sporting activity must respect the health measures and confinement directives in place in your respective areas of residence (including staying at home, personal hygiene, social distancing, etc.).
- This Call is open to all young Africans across the globe between 15 to 35.
- Remember to post using the following designated hashtags: #IDSDPchallenge #SportsAgainstCOVID19 #Whitecard #IDSDP2020
- The challenge will run from April 6 until April 25, 2020 (11:59pm GMT)
- PAYNCoP: Mr. Ikwelle Johnpaul Ekene, email@example.com(link sends e-mail);
- APRM: Lennon Monyae, firstname.lastname@example.org(link sends e-mail); & Thivhulawi Netshivhale, email@example.com(link sends e-mail);
- UNESCO: David Onyango, firstname.lastname@example.org(link sends e-mail); & Hugue Charnie Ngatta. email@example.com(link sends e-mail).