The Basketball Africa League (BAL), an initiative of the NBA and FIBA, was initially meant to take place in March 2020 but was suspended due to the global Covid-19 pandemic.
The competition will involve 12 teams split into three groups each containing four teams. The two top finishers and the two best third-placed teams will proceed to the quarterfinals.
All 26 games will be played at the magnificent Kigali Arena.
The president of Basketball Africa League, Amadou Gallo Fall of Senegal, tweeted late Monday:
“We are thrilled that the inaugural Basketball Africa League season will take place at the world-class Kigali Arena”. 12 #African countries, 26 games, 1 winner. GAME ON!
The 12 participating teams are:
- AS Douanes de Dakar (Senegal)
- AS Police de Bamako (Mali)
- AS Salé (Morocco)
- FAP de Yaoundé (Cameroon)
- Ferrovario de Maputo (Mozambique)
- GNBC de Vakinankaratra (Madagascar)
- GS Pétroliers d’Alger (Algeria)
- Patriots de Kigali (Rwanda)
- Petro de Luanda (Angola)
- Rivers Hoopers de Port Harcourt (Nigeria)
- US Monastir (Tunisia)
- Zamalek du Caire (Egypt).