NEW YORK (October 16, 2016) – MLS expansion clubs Atlanta United and Minnesota United FC took significant steps towards building their rosters ahead of their 2017 league debuts as each team took part in the Expansion Priority Draft today. Atlanta United was awarded the first selection in the draft (determined by a coin toss) and chose priority in the 2016 Expansion Draft, giving the club the first pick. With the second selection, Minnesota United FC chose priority in the MLS SuperDraft, giving the club the No. 1 overall pick in the 2017 MLS SuperDraft presented by adidas.
2016 Expansion Priority Draft Results:
· 2016 MLS Expansion Draft – Atlanta No. 1, Minnesota No. 2
· 2017 MLS SuperDraft – Minnesota No. 1, Atlanta No. 2
· Allocation Ranking Order – Atlanta No. 1, Minnesota No. 2
· USL/NASL Player Priority Ranking – Minnesota No. 1, Atlanta No. 2
· 2016 Waiver Draft and Re-Entry Draft Ranking – Atlanta No. 21, Minnesota No. 22
· Discovery Player Ranking – Minnesota No. 21, Atlanta No. 22
Atlanta and Minnesota will continue their roster construction with the 2016 Expansion Draft on Tuesday, December 13 at 2 p.m. ET. The Expansion Draft, will provide an opportunity for both clubs to add up to five players each to their inaugural rosters. The first selection in the Expansion Draft will be made by Atlanta United and the list of players available for selection will be released the day prior on Dec. 12.
For the full 2016 Expansion Draft Rules, please CLICK HERE.
2016 Expansion Priority Draft Selections: