On 11 May 2017, the 67th FIFA Congress approved a timeline for the next steps of the bidding process that will select the host(s) of the 2026 FIFA World Cup™. According to the approved motion, Member Associations from CAF, CONCACAF, CONMEBOL and the OFC had three months – until 11 August 2017 – to express their interest in hosting the tournament.
- a joint expression of interest submitted by the Canadian Soccer Association, the Mexican Football Association and the United States Soccer Federation
- an expression of interest submitted by the Moroccan Football Association
- FIFA to issue the bidding registration documents for the Member Associations to fill in
- FIFA to issue bidding documents so that the Member Associations may commence their preparations
- Member Associations to submit their bid book to FIFA by March 2018
- FIFA to carry out an evaluation process, which will result in a report
- Based on this report, the FIFA Council to designate the bids to be submitted to the FIFA Congress for a final decision