Bafana Bafana faces Angola in a 2016 Rwanda CHAN qualifier on Saturday, 17 October 2015 at the Rand Stadium in Johannesburg. Kickoff is at 15h00.
“It was all about communication with respective coaches from the clubs. A lot of coaches are willing and want to see Bafana Bafana improving, being successful, and qualifying for tournaments. So a lot of communication took place before we finalised the squad. There was a lot of synergy. They really worked hard to support us,” said Senong.
“The response from coaches at both the National First Division (NFD) and the Premier Soccer League (PSL) has been very positive and because of that we are able to prepare thoroughly. We have had challenges before, which we all know about, but I must say the cooperation from the clubs was very good. We are very happy with the balance of the team, we are also happy that we have a lot of leaders in the team.”
Senong is also excited that there won’t be disruptions to the team as they will have the same players for the second leg which will take place on Saturday, 24 October at the 11th October Stadium in Luanda.
“We have been assured that we will have all the players for the second leg, but we only need 18 to travel with to Angola next week. We are fortunate that we will be working with the entire squad until we trim them down to the required number for travelling. The technical team has done a great job where we presented the names of these players and made reqeusts in advance to make sure we have players that we will work with. This is a positive for us,” added Senong.
He has also dismissed the notion that most of the players don’t play for their clubs.
“Some of these players are playing at their clubs, but not in the first team. They feature regurlaly in the reserve league, so they get a regular run and they are quality players. They have playing minutes under their belts but as I said not in the main team, so we have no doubt that we will put out a team that is fit, a team that will make us proud on Saturday,” he said.
Bafana Bafana plays Angola in four back to back clashes – two in CHAN and two in the 2018 Russia FIFA World Cup qualifiers.
“Playing Angola in CHAN and defeating them can be a psychologial advantage but at the same time it can be a psychologial disadvantage going into the World Cup qualifiers. Because we can beat them in the first two matches and that could leave us in a position of comfort which is dangerous for us. It is important that we remiain in the right zone, which is the performance zone, so it will not be easy especially when we defeat them. We always have to monitor the psychological state of our players when we approach these kind of games,” said Senong.
South Africa has been hard at work preparing for this clash.
“We have been analysing Angola’s matches but the interesting thing about them is that they don’t have a CHAN or AFCON team, they have one strong team. We now know their key players, their formation, their weakness and strenghts, but make no mistake they are a very competitive side. It’s not going to be easy. We are well aware of what they will bring to us, physically and tactically and mentally,” concluded the coach.
Defender Wandisile Letlabika has been named the captain of the squad the South African squad.
BAFANA BAFANA CHAN SQUAD vs ANGOLA
NO. PLAYER'S NAME CLUB
1. Dumisani MSIBI Supersport United FC
2. Wayne SANDILANDS Mamelodi Sundowns FC
3. Nkosingiphile GUMEDE Golden Arrows FC
4. Wandisile LETLABIKA Bloemfontein Celtic FC
5. Siyanda ZWANE Mamelodi Sundowns FC
6. Levy MOKGOTHU Kaizer Chiefs FC
7. Thabo SEPTEMBER Supersport United FC
8. Madisha MOTJEKA Mamelodi Sundowns FC
9. Tebogo MOERANE Bidvest Wits FC
10. Mario BOOYSEN Mamelodi Sundowns FC
11. Rofhiwa TSHIKOVHI Platinum Stars FC
12. Mlungisi MBUNJANA Cape Town All Stars FC
13. Thato SITHOLE Jomo Cosmos FC
14. Thamsanqa SANGWENI Chippa United FC
15. Morne NEL Supersport United FC
16. Thabo QALINGE Orlando Pirates FC
17. Vincent PULE Bidvest Wits FC
18. Percy TAU Mamelodi Sundowns FC
19. Amigo Luvuyo MEMELA Orlando Pirates FC
20. Michael MORTON Supersport United FC
21. Lyle LAKAY Bloemfontein Celtic FC
22. Pule EKSTEIN Kaizer Chiefs FC
23. Dumisani ZUMA Bloemfontein Celtic FC
24. Gift MOTUPA Orlando Pirates FC
25. Bongani NDULULA Kaizer Chiefs FC
26. Bradley GROBLER Supersport United FC
27. Roggert NYUNDU Black Leopards FC